8.29.2012

patience continued...


the theme continues today! these have always been such encouraging scriptures. thankyouLord!


Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains. You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door. As an example of suffering and patience, brothers, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.
(James 5:7-11 ESV)


one of those faithful prophets....

Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places.
To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.
(Habakkuk 3:17-19 ESV)

both scriptures refer to waiting for the "fruit of the earth". waiting for a harvest, especially when you're starving, is extremely difficult. food is a necessary commodity...it represents life or death for us. and yet we are encouraged, that even when we don't have what seems necessary to us, the Lord remains compassionate and merciful and even, "makes me tread on my high places". He never gives us more than we can bear. it is His very purpose to be merciful to us...even as displayed in salvation.
in His mercy, He has provided examples for us in scripture (none greater than His own Son of course) to show us His faithfulness. we may not be able to see "around the bend" in our own lives, but there are innumerable accounts of Christ's love for His people in the word. if our unchanging God was faithful then, then He is surely faithful now.


"yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation."

No comments:

Post a Comment